Nov 22, 2010

Thanksgiving

Jessica gave a talk in church yesterday about gratitude and so did the high council speaker, Bro. Barnes. Both of them were very good and got me thinking about expressing my gratitude. I often complain aloud about my problems but don't often express my gratitude aloud. Bro. Barnes talked about how we pray for things, then we get them, but how often do we then go back and say "Thank You" to our Heavenly Father. I do thank Heavenly Father for little things, like a beautiful day, a lovely flower, or hitting all green lights on my way to work. I don't however, say thank you enough to the people in my life, thank Heavenly Father for my blessings enough, or even recognize them enough.
I have wonderful children who have made good choices in their lives. All five have been through the temple, 2 are married in the temple and 3 have gone on missions, one of which is currently serving honorably. I have a good relationship with all of my children. I have a great son-in-law and daughter-in-law and 2 beautiful grandchildren. I have a comfortable home, a job, indoor plumbing, electricity, computer, car, appliances, all of which make my life easier! (Imagine carrying your water home and then washing your clothes by hand, are you grateful yet!) I have the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life that has helped me through many hard times, callings that have taught me skills and lessons that money couldn't buy. I have a knowledge of where I came from and where I am going after this life that has brought me comfort in times of loss. I work with great kids who enjoy doing service and through them we have helped many people, which gives me purpose.
Unfortunately, I still think of things that I am missing. They are not really things, but relationships that I wish I had. I wish I had a husband who was my best friend, because I am lonely, and I wish I lived closer to my grandchildren, because I love being around them. I don't really wish for things at all because they will never bring me happiness. So I will be patient, and try more often to remember my blessings and try to learn from my trials(aka-this school year)so that maybe next year I might count it as a blessing!
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: